Find a professional

Different health professionals offer different types of services and treatments for depression and anxiety. The directories below list a range of practitioners, grouped by their role and the services they provide.

If you’re not sure about what you need or who’s who, we’ve got some information on the various health practitioners and treatments available. Broadly speaking, GPs provide initial assessment, medical treatment, psychological or ‘talking’ therapies, and/or referral to mental health specialists. Psychologists, social workers and occupational therapists specialise in talking therapies, while psychiatrists specialise in medical treatment and talking therapies.

If you’re unsure of what might work for you, speaking to your GP is a really good place to start. If you don’t have a regular GP or would like to see someone different, check out the Service Directories below for practices in your area.

1.  Find a practice in your area: National Health Service Directory
2.  Find a psychologist:  Australian Psychological Society (APS)